28 Apr 7 data management quotes to live by
Data Management Quotes
Data management quotes can offer snippets of wisdom without having to read through a whole article or book.
If you’re working in the field of data, or if you want to explore your big data options, it pays to do some reading. Here are some data management quotes to live by if you want your business to succeed in the digital age.
1. “Without big data, you are blind and deaf and in the middle of a freeway.” — Geoffrey Moore
Think of big data as the eyes and ears of a business. All businesses have data, but not all businesses utilise this data. Without these insights, you’re making business decisions without all of the information to hand.
2. “You can have data without information, but you cannot have information without data.” — Daniel Keys Moran
Data creates meaning by communicating precise details about your business. It will show you the likes and dislikes of your consumers, relevant industry trends and unexpected red flags within your workflows. The important next step is to dissect the information from that data, which is where skilled data analysts can help.
3. “Big data is at the foundation of all of the megatrends that are happening today, from social to mobile to the cloud to gaming.” — Chris Lynch
In the digital age, if you don’t keep up, you’ll fall behind. Data underpins all of today’s trends, and if you want your business to be competitive, you need to work with big data to preempt industry changes.
4. “We are moving slowly into an era where big data is the starting point, not the end.” – Pearl Zhu.
Gone are the days where we interpret data after making a business-related decision. It’s important to consider data as part of your research. Data should inform all stages of the decision making process, it shouldn’t just determine whether your finished product was a success or a failure.
5. “The human side of analytics is the biggest challenge to implementing big data.” – Paul Gibbons.
Data communicates values, market conditions and trends. But without the human brain to analyse and understand that data, it’s meaningless. Data’s dynamic nature can make it difficult to implement, which is why it’s important for businesses to have data professionals on hand to help them make use of their data.
6. “I think you can have a ridiculously enormous and complex data set, but if you have the right tools and methodology, then it’s not a problem.” – Aaron Koblin.
These days, you can get data about any aspect of your business, ranging from market conditions to consumer values. But without the right tools, this collection of data can seem overwhelming. Data management systems will help you make sense of your data and draw meaning from your insights.
7. And if you’re wondering if a career in data science is right for you, consider this final data management quote:
“Possessed is probably the right word. I often tell people, I don’t want to necessarily be a data scientist. You just kind of are a data scientist. You just can’t help but look at that data set and go, I feel like I need to look deeper. I feel like that’s not the right fit.” – Jennifer Shin, data science/machine learning/AI expert.
Think of data as an endless but exciting rabbit hole. It’s a web of meaning, and once you start interpreting it, there is always more to find and see. Data management systems help you explore your data and uncover the intricacies of your business and your consumers.
Find out more about careers in data engineering.